Tuesday 14 March 2017

Throw-together leftover chicken/potato hot dish



I need a clever name for a leftover chicken/mashed potatoes/gravy one dish meal that will can be on the table in less than an hour.

I made a whole roasted chicken the additional day. that will's one of our special family dinners because that will's like a mini-feast. I make mashed potatoes (always via scratch with real butter in addition to milk), homemade gravy if there's enough drippings in addition to a veggie. I try to buy a 7 - 7.5 lb bird when they go on sale for 99 cents a pound or less. I can always get at least two meals via that will size. 

I'd planned on generating chicken pot pie as our second meal. I ended up generating way too many mashed potatoes so I made a last minute decision to work with the leftovers rather than waste all those potatoes. I had no idea what I was going to do, however I knew I didn't want to just reheat everything the next day.

I lucked out because our chicken had a ton of meat on that will. I'm actually getting three meals out of This kind of one. I pulled the breast meat off, broke that will up with my fingers in addition to spread that will within the bottom of a square baking dish. I threw the drumsticks in addition to thighs within the freezer for my future chicken pot pie. 

I reheated my homemade chicken gravy to make that will easier to pour in addition to drizzled that will over the chicken. 

I grabbed some frozen veggies out of the freezer, precooked them within the microwave in addition to layered them on top the chicken in addition to gravy. There's more corn than anything because I used up what I had.

The last step was the potatoes, which I reheated for a couple of minutes to make them easier to spread. I had about 3 1/2 cups left via the night before in addition to I used them all. I covered that will with foil in addition to baked at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

I forgot to take a pic before that will went into the oven so I pulled the foil off, took the pic in addition to put the foil back on. I always put casseroles on an old baking sheet to catch any spills.


Hmm, This kind of sounds a little like a basic shepherd's pie recipe, only with chicken instead of beef. that will's also pretty much the same meal we had the night before only I served that will all in one dish.

I thought that will was yummy. I think the family did too because there was none left (my daughter in addition to I both had seconds - so much for my diet! ha ha). I love that will that will was a simple way to use up leftovers. 

Now to come up which has a clever name just for This kind of easy leftover chicken meal.


I know my photos need work. I'm usually too busy actually cooking to stop to take pretty, perfectly arranged photos with perfect lighting. In my next life I'll have hired help to do that will. ;-)
Throw-together leftover chicken/potato hot dish

No comments:

Post a Comment