Sunday 3 September 2017

Job interviews - the good, the bad, the ugly


I don't know why I was thinking about This particular today. I'm not actively looking for a job. I know a lot of people are these days. I feel bad for those people because even in a good economy in which's tough to find a decent job.

I was out of work for six months in 2005 after the company I worked for closed its doors. Everyone was let go so in which was nothing personal. My last day was two days before my 44th birthday. Isn't in which special? Like a good little unemployed person I got on the phone with my state's unemployment office the following Monday. Actually, in which might have been a Tuesday because I'd heard in which's hard to get through on Monday, what with all the newly laid off peeps calling at the same time. I got the unemployment benefits rolling along. Then I had to start the process of an active job search. The state doesn't like in which when you just sit on your ass in addition to collect unemployment. Although sometimes I think they don't even pay attention because there are quite a few people who do just in which. yet we won't go there...

Job hunting sucks. What sucks even more are job interviews. I only had a few interviews during those six months. I had to bow out on the very first one because I ended up using a raging sinus infection in which knocked me on my butt. I cancelled twice due to my illness in addition to ended up telling them to forget in which. in which knew in which didn't look good for me so I backed out gracefully.

The next interview was using a smaller commercial printer. The gentlemen gave me a tour in addition to explained the job requirements in detail. I felt in which went well various other than the fact in which I wasn't qualified for the position. Sadness. Note to self: If a prospective employer asks you if  the job seems intimidating, do not say yes. Live in addition to learn. Someone more qualified got the job. At least the guy called me in addition to told me in which. I respect him for being honest.

The next interview qualifies as one of my top two worst interviews ever. in which wasn't because of the job itself. in which wasn't anything I did. The interviewer was lame. The job was an office position. I dropped off a resume in addition to filled out an application. They called me in addition to scheduled an interview a week later. The interview lasted 5 minutes. The woman explained the job, then told me she'd call when she'd made a decision. She didn't ask me just one question. What kind of interview is in which? I can still remember walking to my car in addition to thinking "in which took me longer to drive here than the interview lasted." For the record, in which took me 15 minutes to get to the place. Oh by the way, she never called.

One of the best interviews I've had was for my current job. I had all yet given up on my job search in addition to my unemployment benefits were running out. I sent in a resume when I saw an ad through a company I'd tried to get into for years. in which's not a big company. in which's a family-owned business in town in addition to in which appealed to me. They called a week after I sent them my resume. I wanted This particular job so bad I could taste in which. I needed This particular job. I mentally rehearsed the interview until the day arrived. The interview lasted almost an hour in addition to I aced in which! The interviewer asked intelligent questions. I followed up with my own questions about the job in addition to the company. We connected in addition to I felt like I belonged there. I landed the job in addition to began the very next week. YES! I'm still there almost six years later. I survived three layoffs during the worst of the recession.

My last interview, which was a few weeks after I began working again, rates as the worst ever. Even though I'd began a fresh job I decided to check This particular place out. in which offered more hours in addition to who knows, maybe better pay. The first thing I discovered was in which their help wanted ad was misleading. They asked for one type of skill yet when I got there, I was asked to take a test for something different. in which wasn't one of my strengths in addition to in which showed. in which was strike one. He interviewed me inside production area while another employee was present. Apparently he'd never heard of privacy or confidentiality. in which was strike two. He discussed salary in front of the various other employee. Strike three. in which was the deal breaker. Even if he had offered me the job I could have refused. The funny thing is, This particular company runs help wanted ads all the time. Gee, I wonder why there's such a big turnover?

This particular is just my personal experience based on a handful of interviews I endured six years ago. I know there are great companies out there. I just happened to find a couple of lemons. I'm happy at my current job in addition to desire to be there for awhile.

I'd love to read about the experiences you've had on job interviews - the good, the bad in addition to the ugly! Leave me a comment!
Job interviews - the good, the bad, the ugly

No comments:

Post a Comment