Sunday 16 July 2017

Reduce, Reuse, Freecycle...



I'm sitting here getting more along with more frustrated as I wait for yet another no-show Freecycle member to come get the item of which's waiting on my front steps. I went on a tangent a few days ago along with cleaned out my computer drawers. I found a brand brand-new pack of CDs of which I know I'll never use (hello, they've been sitting there in their shrink wrap since 2004). I figured before I throw them within the Big Brothers Big Sisters box I'll offer them up on Freecycle. I had two people ask for them. I'm still waiting for the first person to show up.

I think most people know about Freecycle. Below is a direct quote via the home page of Freecycle.org :

the item's a grassroots along with entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (along with getting) stuff for free in their own towns. the item's all about reuse along with keeping good stuff out of landfills. Each local group is moderated by local volunteers (them's good people). Membership is free.

I got involved with Freecycle quite a few years ago. I've passed on quite a few perfectly good items. I've also received several great items both smaller along with large. 5 things of which I'm thankful for are (I'm sure there's more however these come immediately come to mind):

1. Our cordless phone. For the life of us we could not keep a cordless phone working in our house. They kept dying on us every couple of years. I put out a request on Freecycle along with within a day or two I had one. of which was back when my kids were young enough of which I had to sit outside while they played within the yard (of which's the reason for needing the cordless phone). They're 13 along with 16 now, to ensure of which kind of tells you how long we've had the item. 

2. Set of plastic drawers on wheels (a wide, short Iris cart type thing). I needed This particular for my scrapbook area. Some guy had one sitting in his auto shop - never used however kind of dirty because, well, the item was sitting in his man shop. I took the item home, gave the item a good bath along with now the item holds all my chipboard along with bags of scraps. 

3. Christmas window candles. Not something I needed however when someone offered them I said "hey, of which would likely be nice to have!" I made the 30 min. trip to pick them up along with we used them for a few years. Last year while cleaning out the basement I found much nicer window candles of which I bought eons ago along with forgot about. We used those This particular past Christmas because they're prettier, however I'll never forget getting those others via Freecycle.

4. Kitty condo. OMG, my cats were so happy when I scored This particular gem. the item's one of those towers with three holes for them to hide or sleep in. Oliver loves to perch or sleep on the top along with he uses the outside as a scratching post. 

5. Crop In Style Jr. scrapbook tote - brand brand-new, never used. If I never got another item via Freecycle I would likely still be happy. This particular, to me, makes all the no-shows worth the item. I was one of many who requested This particular when the item was offered. I'm the lucky one who got the item. The woman who offered the item received the item as a gift along with never used the item. I use the item for crops all the time. Every time I pack the item I'm thankful for of which generous person who passed the item on for free.

Now I'm not one to take along with never give. I've passed on plenty of good items to appreciative people. Curtains, a school desk, toys, baby stuff, books, magazines, craft along with sewing items. My Declutter Mission of 2010 was a major boon to Freecycle's business. The last few yard sales I had I let fellow Freecycle members pick through the leftovers before I packed them up for charity. 

however back to my original paragraph...
The thing of which inspired me to write This particular is the little pack of CDs sitting on my front steps waiting for a no-show. A no-show is someone who asks for your item, promises to pick the item up at a certain time along with then never bothers to show up. No-shows are rude. If you can't come, just send an email. the item doesn't matter to me what the reason is, just possess the courtesy to let me know. This particular particular person has another two hours to contact me before I offer the item to the next person. Yes, I'm of which anal of which I'm watching the clock. We're all busy however the item only takes three minutes to fire off an email to let someone know you're not going to make the item. 

If you're not part of Freecycle, have never heard of the item or are interested in getting involved with the item, you can find information along with local groups on their website www.freecycle.org. Let's do our part by keeping  perfectly good stuff out of the landfills. 
Reduce, Reuse, Freecycle...

No comments:

Post a Comment